Are there any restrictions on what can be done on our road?

One requirement of formation is that offers of dedication or easements be granted to the County. Once completed, this action establishes the road as a public road covered by the conditions and stipulations of the California Vehicle Code (CVC).

Stipulations include:

  • Access to the road cannot be restricted (no gates or any other barriers).
  • Signage is limited to guide/directional signs (no regulatory signs, such as speed limit signs).
  • No obstructions may be placed on or under the surface of the roadway which will impede the speed of the vehicles in such a way as to cause discomfort or harm to persons in a vehicle (such as speed bumps, speed dips or undulations), however, rumble strips and delineators are permitted.
  • all road work must be completed by licensed, bonded contractors who comply with prevailing wage standards. All work under $100,000 is governed by the Uniform Construction Cost Accounting Procedures Ordinance and by Public Works contract law. Work projects will be put out for public bid and award made to the qualified low bidder. All work under $25,000 may be performed by County forces.
  • Volunteer work is limited and requires preparation of documentation prior to the start of work.

Show All Answers

1. I live on a private road that needs to be maintained. The neighbors don't agree on what needs to be done or how much each of us should pay; what can be done?
2. What is a permanent road division?
3. What are the costs associated with forming a permanent road division? Are there other fees required once the division is established?
4. If some people don't support the formation, can they prevent the division forming?
5. Who sets and approves our per parcel fee?
6. Who determines what work needs to be done? Who pays for these services?
7. How are bylaws relevant to forming a permanent road division?
8. Who makes up the bylaws?
9. Who handles the mailings for the Advisory Committee?
10. Are we required to bring our road up to any particular standards? Is there a requirement as to the level of maintenance and/or improvements we must provide?
11. What happens to the money collected from a division of benefit?
12. What happens to our money if we don't use it all during the year? What if we don't have the work done that we budgeted for? Is our money lost? Can it be used by the County for other purposes?
13. Can an existing Road Association still levy charges for private road maintenance after a permanent road division is formed for road maintenance purposes?
14. What about back assessments owed to a Homeowners Association?
15. Are there any restrictions on what can be done on our road?
16. If we cannot post a speed limit on our road, how can we control speeders? What is our liability if an accident should occur?
17. Once a permanent road division is established, can it be dissolved? If so, what is the cost and what happens to any monies we have collected? Does the road revert to being a private road?
18. Why were some private roads built to County standards and others were not and since we are already paying taxes for roads, why do we need to pay another tax to maintain our road?
19. Will an existing Homeowners Association be eliminated when a permanent road division for road maintenance is formed?
20. If the design of a road is alleged or proven as casual or contributory to an accident, will this type of liability be covered by the County's self-insurance program?