What are the costs associated with forming a permanent road division? Are there other fees required once the division is established?

A $350 application fee is required. This deposit will be used to defray the initial costs associated with division formation. Formation charges exceeding the initial $350 deposit can be recovered from the division's first-year assessment. There may be additional costs incurred in order to meet formation requirements, such as charges by an engineer to prepare a map or legal description. These charges are paid directly to the service provider. The division must also pay a fee to the California State Board of Equalization, based on their fee schedule.

Once established, a division will be charged annually as follows:

  • A negotiated fee (approximately $1 to $3 per parcel) to the Auditor for processing costs
  • The cost of an insurance policy covering the Division's roads
  • Administration fees which are specific to the work required in each division, fees include:
    • The cost of staff time spent administering the division is paid to the Administration Division of Public Works. Administration includes such activities as processing purchase orders, preparing bid documents and contracts, and reviewing and monitoring the budget for each division. Because this is a direct billing for time worked, this cost will vary greatly with each division and is dependent upon the number of calls and issues requiring staff involvement
    • The cost associated with the budget preparation, monthly reconciliation, and general division activities are spread to all divisions

While there is no "average" division, annual division administration fees usually range from $1,000 to $5,000 per division per year.

Any and all road work is paid from each respective division's account. Road work within a division is governed by the County's Informal Bidding Procedure Ordinance and Public Works contract law. Licensing, bonding, and compliance with prevailing wage standards are required.

Show All Answers

1. I live on a private road that needs to be maintained. The neighbors don't agree on what needs to be done or how much each of us should pay; what can be done?
2. What is a permanent road division?
3. What are the costs associated with forming a permanent road division? Are there other fees required once the division is established?
4. If some people don't support the formation, can they prevent the division forming?
5. Who sets and approves our per parcel fee?
6. Who determines what work needs to be done? Who pays for these services?
7. How are bylaws relevant to forming a permanent road division?
8. Who makes up the bylaws?
9. Who handles the mailings for the Advisory Committee?
10. Are we required to bring our road up to any particular standards? Is there a requirement as to the level of maintenance and/or improvements we must provide?
11. What happens to the money collected from a division of benefit?
12. What happens to our money if we don't use it all during the year? What if we don't have the work done that we budgeted for? Is our money lost? Can it be used by the County for other purposes?
13. Can an existing Road Association still levy charges for private road maintenance after a permanent road division is formed for road maintenance purposes?
14. What about back assessments owed to a Homeowners Association?
15. Are there any restrictions on what can be done on our road?
16. If we cannot post a speed limit on our road, how can we control speeders? What is our liability if an accident should occur?
17. Once a permanent road division is established, can it be dissolved? If so, what is the cost and what happens to any monies we have collected? Does the road revert to being a private road?
18. Why were some private roads built to County standards and others were not and since we are already paying taxes for roads, why do we need to pay another tax to maintain our road?
19. Will an existing Homeowners Association be eliminated when a permanent road division for road maintenance is formed?
20. If the design of a road is alleged or proven as casual or contributory to an accident, will this type of liability be covered by the County's self-insurance program?