I cannot find my military discharge papers (DD-214). What can I do?

We can assist in ordering the military discharge forms from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC). You will usually receive a response in three to four weeks. This process may be prolonged if the files were destroyed in the fire at NPRC in 1973. On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at the NPRC destroyed approximately 16 to 18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). The following records were affected:

  • Army-Personnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960
  • Air Force-Personnel discharged September 25, 1947 to January 1, 1964 (with names alphabetically after Hubbard, James E.)

Show All Answers

1. What benefits are available?
2. I was not injured in the service, am I eligible for any benefits?
3. Are there non-service-connected pension payments for veterans of a war time era?
4. Are there educational/school benefits for veterans and their dependents?
5. Are there any life insurance benefits?
6. Can I receive medical benefits although I only served for a short period of time in the service?
7. Am I eligible for burial benefits?
8. How many times can I use my GI home loan?
9. Is there compensation for disability injuries incurred in the service?
10. Is there any assistance for having your discharge upgraded?
11. Do I have any benefits if I lost a son or daughter in the service?
12. My father was in the service, do I have any benefits?
13. Are there employment programs for veterans?
14. How do I get help filing a claim for Post-Traumatic Stress related problems?
15. I cannot find my military discharge papers (DD-214). What can I do?